This is a great deal for those who live near a Giant store. From February 9 – February 22, Giant is running a 5x Bonus Gas Card Points promo for gift card purchases. For every $100 you spend on gift cards, you get $.50 off per gallon on gas – up to 30 gallons. This savings can get you $69 worth of free gas!
UPDATE – It appears that February 20 was the last day for this deal!
In order to maximize this deal, you need to purchase a $500 MasterCard gift card.
How does the deal work?
- Buy $500 MasterCard + pay $5.95 Activation Fee for a total of $505.95
- Earn $75.00 in gas ($.50 per gallon x 5 = $2.50 off per gallon. Multiply $2.50 x 30 and you get $75)
- Get $69.05 worth of free gas! ($75 minus the gift card fee of $5.95).
You could also buy $500 worth of store gift cards (Macy’s, itunes, etc.) that do not have an activation fee.
Note: see the comments section below for some tips on how to maximize this deal and possibly get more than $69 of free gas.
Note that the promo limit of $2.50 per gallon and the Gas Rewards program limit of $2.20 per gallon are different. I assume that any gas points you do not use will stay on your card for use next time, so you would get $2.20 off per gallon on one fill up, then $.30 per gallon off on your second. (According to one reader, once you fill up, all bonus points are gone. However, according to another reader, extra points stay on your card for next time…so YMMV!)
Also, it seems you can only max out the $2.20 off per gallon during ONE FILL UP. If this is the case, one way to work around this would be to bring two cars (yours and a spouse’s, or yours and a friend’s) to the pump, and don’t replace the handle of the pump before moving to the second car. (According to one reader, you cannot split this transaction into two cars, but another reader describes how she makes this work in the comments below, so again, YMMV.)
What/where is Giant?
Giant Food Stores is a supermarket chain that operates stores in Pennsylvania, Maryland, Virginia, New York, New Jersey, Ohio and West Virginia under the names of Giant and Martin’s.
What are Giant Gas Rewards?
Click here for an informative video.
- Fuel savings are limited to 35 gallons of fuel per vehicle per purchase.
- Total discount cannot exceed price per gallon.
- Limit of 2,200 points may be redeemed with any fill up.
- Earned points are available for redemption within 24 hours.
- Offers available at Giant or participating Shell locations.
- Giant Gas Rewards points will expire 30 days from date of issuance.
I live in California, so I’ll be missing out on this one – but my motto is that deals are like busses…another is always right around the corner.
Will you be getting in on this deal?