Okay, car services. Do you use them? Which one? Uber versus Lyft…do you have a favorite?
I like ’em both, but for very different reasons. Here’s the lowdown on each service, complete with stories, current promos, and helpful details.
Lyft is really fun for quick rides around town. It’s super social and very community-oriented. Getting a Lyft is like getting a ride from a friend with a car. I’ve had nothing but positive experiences with Lyft – if you want to know details, you can read this post.
Lyft is best if:
- you want a quick ride within the city
- you’re feeling social
- you don’t have a lot of luggage or people (you can’t predict what type of car you are going to get)
Current Lyft promos:
Right now, you can get a “free ride” worth $25 when you use a friend’s referral link. Here is my link if you would like to use it (thank you – we will each get a free ride)!
Here is a post on how to maximize your Lyft credit(s) once you have them.
A Lyft driver story:
Deco Carter is famous in SF. The reason: he’s the Hip Hop Lyft Driver.
I love taking Uber to the airport. It’s great to be able to request an SUV that will easily hold my family plus all of our luggage. It also feels very luxurious – if you want to treat yourself, go with Uber. Here’s my review if you want to know more.
Uber is best if:
- you want a ride to the airport
- you want to select the size and/or style of your vehicle
- you don’t want to talk to anyone (with Lyft, it’s kinda rude if you don’t talk; with Uber, it’s okay)
Current Uber promos:
If you are a first-time member, you can stack:
- a $20 first-time member sign-up bonus +
- a $40 first-time rider discount promo code
- which equals $60 in free rides from Uber.
NOTE: the $40 code is no longer working nationwide. It is now restricted to the Chicago area!!
Current codes still available as of today (April 1, 2014) include KALEB and HIPMUNK, which will both give you a $20 first-time rider discount.
1. Sign up for Uber using a referral link.
- Make sure that you find a link that offers you $20 in first-time credit (some links only provide $10). Here is my referral link (we will each get $20 in credit when you take your first ride).
- This credit does not expire and can be used on more than one ride.
2. Add the first-time rider promo code to your account.
- As soon as you are signed up for a new Uber account, log in and go to the promotions page.
- Enter promo code C2E2. This will give you a $40 discount off of your first ride. (See above note! This code may not work for you unless you are in Chicago!)
- Make sure to use this credit before May 31, or it will expire.
- You will see an “Uber Credit Balance” of $20 on your account.
- You will see an “available promotion” credit of $40.
- Unlike Lyft, both of these credit can be combined on the same trip.
An Uber Driver story:
This dude drove an Uber car for a week, then wrote about it for GQ Magazine. Caution: lots of cuss words!
So…Uber Vs. Lyft?
Which one do you prefer? Do you have a favorite?