I’m trying to remain calm, but I’m feeling very upset right now. The source of my frustration? IHG Rewards Club!!!
As you may know, I booked two stays at Seattle area Holiday Inns, specifically so that I could rack up a bunch of points for the IHG Big Win promo. These were the offers I was working with:
- Stay a total of 4 nights and earn 8,000 points
- Stay at 2 different IHG brands and earn 16,000 points
- Book 1 stay through the Best Flexible Rate with Breakfast and earn 2,000 points.
- Complete a simple survey and earn 100 points
- Book 2 separate stays through our IHG® app and earn 8,000 points.
- Stay at 2 Holiday Inn® hotels and earn 8,000 points
- Stay at 2 InterContinental® Hotels and Resorts and earn 16,000 points.
- Complete 6 of your offers and earn 25,000 points
To earn maximum points, here is what I did:
- I booked both stays through the mobile app (8,000 points)
- One stay was a Best Flexible Rate with Breakfast (2,000 points)
- One night was at a Holiday Inn, and the other night was at a Holiday Inn Express (which I mistakenly thought would both count at Holiday Inns – 8,000 points)
You can read my reviews here, here, and here if you are interested, but to be clear, I didn’t really want to stay at either hotel. I was doing it for the points. So imagine my annoyance when only 2,000 points posted. WTH? I sent a couple of emails to IHG.
Hi! I booked two stays through the mobile app – the one listed above, and one at the Holiday Inn Express Sea Tac the next night (April 26-27). Apparently one one was counted. I needed them both for the Big Win promo; can you help? Thanks!
Dear Pixie Points,
Thank you for contacting IHG Rewards Club regarding your account. We appreciate the opportunity to assist you.
In order to receive the bonus points for the challenge IHG mobile app booking, as stated on the Big Win 2014 tracker, you must book 2 separate stays through our IHG® application. Also, it must be booked on any IHG website between January 1, 2014 and April 30, 2014.Our records show that you booked the reservation on 19 December 2013. As such, it is not counted towards the promotion.
Really? Yes, really.
Hi! I booked this stay in order to complete one of my “Big Win” items – the one titled “Change Your View” for two stays at two Holiday Inn hotels. I had actually called to confirm that this stay would count towards the bonus, so I was surprised to see that it did not get added. Can you help? Thank you!
Dear Pixie Points,
Thank you for contacting IHG Rewards Club regarding your Platinum Elite account. We appreciate the opportunity to assist you.
We would like to advise you that the ‘Change your view’ offer on The Big Win 2014 promotion requires 2 stays at 2 Holiday Inn® hotels to earn 8,000 points. The stay in question is at a Holiday Inn Express® hotel (Holiday Inn Express – Seattle-sea-tac Airport). Please note that Holiday Inn® is a different brand from Holiday Inn Express®. We hope this clarifies your concern.
Okay. Fine. But if the stay in question is a different brand from the Holiday Inn, then wouldn’t it count towards the 16,000-point “stay at 2 different IHG brands” challenge? Because those points didn’t appear either.
I’m so confused. And apparently, I’m out of luck.
How did you do with the 2014 Big Win promotion?