There’s been some buzz lately about Silvercar, a new luxury car rental service available at select airports (currently, DFW, AUS, DAL, SFO, and LAX).
While Silvercar’s marketing is bold and their message is strong, I’m absolutely not interested.
What is Silvercar?
Silvercar only rents one type of car: the Audi A4.
They claim that they are “bringing the ‘wow’ back to car rental,” by “eliminating many of the hassles that have plagued this industry for years.”
Sounds good, doesn’t it?
Each car is packed with complimentary premium features. I cut and pasted the copy below directly from their website, because I think the feeling you get when you read it is important. (Note: it really rubbed me the wrong way! Bonus points if you can figure out the sentence that pushed me over the edge.)
– Navigation system. Yes, it’s free. It’s not an upcharge. All Silvercars come with a multimedia navigation system in the car that’s ready and waiting.
– SiriusXM satellite radio. Yes, another “standard” feature of our Silvercars. (We really don’t like the word “standard” but in our case it really means “free” so we’ll go with it.)
– Wi-fi hot spot. Your Silvercar provides you with free wi-fi. Now you can download that huge file without having to hit the local coffee shop before your meeting.
– Bluetooth pairing. Pair your smartphone with your car for hands-free calling and listening to music from your phone.
– Toll tracking. At Silvercar, toll tracking is free. When you enter the car rental return area, we remotely search for toll fees associated with your Audi A4 and bill them to your account. We don’t charge any usage fees. We just pass on the tolls that you used – nothing else.
– Audi quattro all-wheel drive. Ready for all weather conditions.
– Leather seats. Just like your car back home.
– Road-side safety assistance. Your Silvercar includes road-side safety at no extra charge.
If you don’t have a Smartphone, you’re out of luck. Sorry.
When you rent from SIlvercar, you’ll use your Smartphone to:
- Unlock your Silvercar
- Assess your car
- Pair your phone for hands-free calling and music
- Receive your electronic receipt
Am I crazy?
I admit that I chuckled at Silvercar’s tagline: “Car Rental That Doesn’t Suck.”
I was also very intrigued by Lucky’s post about how Silvercar is currently “paying you to rent a car from them.”
However, once I started playing around with possible dates (basically, 2-3 day rentals that weren’t exclusively on the weekends), I was BLOWN AWAY by how expensive this would be. Check out the cost of this 49-hour rental (2 days +1 hour)…it’s $220!!!
The 48-hour rental is not much better…$165 for two days?!?
Even after deducting the “new customer” promo codes and referrals that are available right now (worth a total of $75), this two-day rental would cost a whopping $90.
That totally doesn’t work for me. I mean, I’m not going to be spending my vacation hanging out in the car, so I don’t need to rent a luxury vehicle that costs as much as a hotel room!
Is it just me?
To me, this idea and this company seem WAY too exclusive, like they are catering to the 1%, they know it, and that’s they way they like it. I enjoy a luxury car as much as the next gal, but paying over a hundred bucks a day for the privilege of driving one is just not how I want to spend my money.
So I’m intensely curious: it is just me? Am I overreacting? Missing something? Would you pay a premium to rent from Silvercar?
PS – The sentence that really got me was, “Leather seats. Just like your car back home.”